What is Magento? Magento can be a great option if you want to open a reliable online store. It offers great features, performance and customizable features. In this Magento guide we will teach you what Magento is and show you everything you need to get started with Magento.
What is Magento? Magento Guide for Beginners
- What is Magento?
- Why Choose Magento?
- How to Install Magento?
- Magento Settings
What is Magento?
What is Magento? Magento is an open source content management system that provides powerful features. Magento has everything from different payment methods and from the basket system to the product management panel.
With Magento, you can open an online store of your choice, whether it’s a small business or a corporate business. It has extensive control options that allow you to design customer and SEO friendly websites.
Flexible modular architecture allows you to scale your online store. There are more than 500 extensions in Magento Marketplace . The types of these extensions are different types such as payments, security and marketing. Themes are also available, but there are fewer themes than extensions .
Why Choose Magento?
Magento has an instinctive control panel with all the features you need for store management . From catalogs to content and customer options, you’ll have no problems navigating through these elements.
After entering the control panel, you will see the sales report . The report includes the total number of orders, customers, searches and popular products.
You can even run multiple stores simultaneously in a single installation and manage them all from a single admin area. Moreover, it is easy to place products into categories.
What’s more, Magento is SEO friendly . Allows you to add keywords, edit products’ URL keys, meta title, and descriptions effortlessly. You can also avoid duplicate content by setting the Canonical link meta tag.
In addition, Magento can support multiple languages to help you increase your target customers. For example, you can add Russian , German and Arabic . To add more languages to your site, search the marketplace and install your preferred language packs.
As for security, Magento constantly releases security patches to prevent brute-force and DDoS attacks. If you want additional protection, you can also install a security extension like Astra .
Because this platform is open-source, it has a community that improves and updates the software . You can easily find the support you need to run your online business successfully.
How to Install Magento?
Now that you know what Magento is and what its features are, there’s how to install Magento. But before proceeding, please note that this platform can only be installed in Hostinger Cloud Hosting . Make sure your server meets these basic requirements:
- Web server : Apache 2.2 or 2.4
- Operating systems : Linux distributions such as CentOS, Ubuntu or Debian
- Database : MySQL 5.6 or 5.7
- PHP version : 7.1.3 or 7.2.0
Now we can proceed with Magento installation. There are two ways to install Magento: manual installation and installation with the AutoLoader in hPanel.
Installing Magento by Hand
If you want to install this platform yourself, here are the manual Magento installation steps:
1. Download Magento
Sample data is a template that allows you to familiarize yourself with Magento. The Luma theme has the front of store, products and categories. If you have finished using the sample data, you can delete or update it .
You can choose which format ( .zip, .tar.gz, or .tar.bz2 ) the installation file will be . Once you have selected, click Download .
2. Installing Magento
Note that you must have a domain address before installing Magento . There are two ways to install the platform: upload files through an FTP client , such as FileZilla , or use the file manager in hPanel .
In this Magento guide we will explain the latter:
- First, create a database. Go to hPanel’s control panel, scroll down to find the Databases section , and click MySQL Databases .
- Enter the required information, ie the database name, user name, and password . Then press Create .
- Return to the control panel and Downloads under the section File Manager ‘What’s gone.
- Enter the public_html directory and click Upload File in the upper right corner .
- Select the Magento archive file you downloaded earlier and click Install .
- Once the file is uploaded, right-click the file and select Extract .
- Type a period (.) As the location and press Subtract .
- Now you’ll be directed to the setup page when you go to your website. Select Agree and Setup Magento .
- Click Start Readiness Check to continue. Complete all the requirements and then click Next .
- Information of the database ( database host, name, user name, and password ) that you created earlier . Press Next to continue .
- For web configuration , enter your store address (your domain name) and administrator address. The administrator’s address should be difficult to guess for security reasons.
- Set your store’s default time zone , currency, and language .
- User name , password and email to create an administrator account by filling out the required fields like.
- Now press Install and that’s it!
Installing Magento with Hostinger Auto Loader
Alternatively, you can use hPanel’s automatic installer. However , be sure to create a database before proceeding . If you don’t know how to create a database, you can learn from the first two steps in the previous method.
Once you’ve created your database, follow this Magento guide:
- Enter hPanel and scroll down to Website . Click the Auto Installer button.
- Type “Magento una in the search bar and select the Magento box.
- Enter the required information, such as administrator username, password, email, and website title .
- After clicking Install , you will be taken to the setup page.
- After following steps 9-14 in the manual installation guide, you will be able to complete the installation successfully.
Now that you know exactly what Magento is and how to install it, we can come to the more fun part. At this stage we will add products, payment methods and shipping. Let’s start adding new pages to your store!
1. Adding New Pages
- Enter the Admin panel and click the Content button in the left sidebar .
- Select Pages , and then click Add New Page .
- Enter the Page Title and customize your page with these options:
- Content – a text editor is available for you to create your content.
- Search Engine Optimization – provides settings such as URL key , meta title, and description for your page to appear on search engine results pages .
- Page in Websites – allows you to select which site to display the page if you manage multiple stores.
- Design sun provides options for using internal page layouts or allows you to place your own XML layout code.
- Custom Design Update – allows you to set specific dates for automatic page layout and design changes.
- Remember to save by pressing Save after you have finished creating the page .
2. Add Product
- Go to Catalog -> Products .
- Click Add Product or the down arrow to select which type of product you are selling .
- Enter the required information such as Name, SKU and Price . You can also enter additional information such as Stock Status , Weight and Category .
- Customize other settings, such as uploading Images and Videos , adding Meta Title and Description for SEO, or personalizing Layout Design .
- When you are done, press the Save key.
3. Add Payment Methods
You can add a variety of payment options to make your payment process easier, whether online or offline. Follow this guide to learn how to add payment methods in Magento:
- Go to Stores -> Configuration .
- Select Sales , then proceed to Payment Methods .
- Locate your store by selecting your country from the Merchant Country bar.
- Press Configure next to Paypal and Braintree payment solutions . Complete the settings required to activate.
- Proceed to Other Payment Methods to enable other payment methods such as Amazon Pay , bank transfer, and payment on delivery .
- When you are finished , press Save Config .
4. Setting Shipping Methods
- Click Store -> Configuration .
- Go to Sales and select Shipping Methods . These are the options you will see:
- Flat Rate – Apply flat rate per cargo or product.
- Free Shipping – You can choose free shipping for discount reasons.
- Ratio Table – weight, number of products, direction, etc. Allows you to view a table of shipping rates that will vary depending on conditions such as.
- Expand each section and adjust the settings to your needs.
- You can also enable logistics services such as UPS , USPS , FedEx and DHL .
- When you are finished, press Save Config to save your changes.
Magento is one of the best alternatives if you prefer a customizable e-commerce platform. You can easily add functionality and extend your online store by adding extensions.
Let’s go over what we’ve learned:
- Magento Setup – Manual installation via hPanel’s File Manager or using the automatic installer.
- Add new pages – add content and information to your online store. To start, you can create pages like “About Us” or “Contact Us ..
- Adding products – set the information and properties of your products. Customize the layout, place images and videos to make them more visually appealing.
- Determine payment methods – bank transfer, provide different payment options such as PayPal and COD.
- Set shipping methods – add shipping rates via flat rate or rate table. You can enable free shipping for discounts.
That’s it! By reading this guide, you have learned what Magento is, how to install and use Magento. If you have any questions please share with us in the comments section below! Good luck!